Friday, March 29, 2019

Reading Reflection 2

The general theme of "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Peter Drucker is that our mind has 2 ways of solving a problem place in front of us. The fast way which is instinctive and instant, and the slow is conscious and takes time.

I often must focus on the second way of thinking when doing the actual assignments, but use the fast way on figuring out what i would do the assignment on.

The exercise i would do for class would be a simple question and answer portion. I would ask a question, but i would ask to tell me their answer right away. Showing them when we rely on the fast part for shortcuts it can lead to mistakes. Your brain is lazy and would often choose the answer with the least amount of effort.

What i learned that differed from my expectations was how often we used these shortcuts. Our brain sees complex problems as simpler than they are and can lead to mistakes. It is finding a balance between these two ways that makes people so creative and cognitive. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Trevor!

    First of all, great choice on the book you chose. I thought about reading that one cause it was very interesting. I really like what your class exercise would be. I think that would be very cool to do!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Trevor, "Thinking, fast and slow is a book I really want to read after your reading your reflection. I typically tend to rely on doing and answering things the fast way. I never thought about taking the time to answer slowly and correctly. This may even seem like common sense, but is really overlooked in my opinion. Maybe the book can shed some light on how to make more time or get things done right. great summary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Trevor,
    That is an interesting concept and really shows how advanced our brains are and we do a lot of things without second thought. Now that I think about it I can totally believe that there are two ways to solve a problem and how different problem solving methods would be better in different situations.

    ReplyDelete

Final reflect

1. The moments of drudgery were the assignments requiring multiple interviews. Joyous experiences were being to complete all my work and the...